Where are the Best Places To Visit In Switzerland? Switzerland is renowned for its lush green, vibrantly colored meadows, raging rivers, scenic lakes, and mountainous Alpine surroundings, all of which are equally impressive. Let me guide you through Switzerland’s picturesque landscapes, stunning cities, as well as Swiss villages to find the best places to visit. Here’s my list of the Best Places To Visit In Switzerland to give you a taste of the best of the best.
Best Places To Visit In Switzerland: INTERLAKEN
Interlaken is one of the Best Places To Visit In Switzerland, nestled between 2 lakes, Lake Brienz and Lake Thun, and surrounded by lush Alpine greenery and postcard-perfect vistas.
This small Swiss town offers breathtaking views of 3 snow-capped Swiss mountains: the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Monch. Interlaken is a mecca for adventure seekers, as it is home to a variety of outdoor activities like paragliding, skydiving, mountain biking, and many others.
Things to do Interlaken:
- Explore this lovely Swiss city on foot. Visit the Schynige Platte Botanical Alpine Gardens as well as the St. Beatus Caves, which are known for their underground waterfalls and beautiful chambers.
- Lake Brienz as well as Lake Thun are both beautiful and charming. Lake Brienz, on the east side of Interlaken, has turquoise blue waters and a spectacular mountain view in the background. Lake Thun, on the west side of Interlaken, is stunning.
- The best way to see the lakes is to take a cruise boat and view the tourist places from a new perspective.
Interlaken’s own mountain, Harder Kulm, stands at 4337 feet. Harder offers a magnificent view of both lakes and Interlaken.
Best Places To Visit In Switzerland: REGION OF JUNGFRAU
The Jungfrau region is one of Interlaken’s most beautiful areas. The breathtaking scenery on the train ride to Jungfraujoch will undoubtedly captivate you. Jungfraujoch, also known as the ‘Top of Europe,’ is a 3,454-meter-high observation veranda and scientific observatory.
The great Aletsch Glacier starts at Jungfraujoch, another UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Jungfrau region contains some of the most beautiful Swiss villages, including Grindelwald, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, and Wengen. Capture the majestic Eiger’s beauty. The Monch and Jungfrau mountain ranges are blanketed in milky white snow.
Things to do in Jungfrau Region
- The stunning train journey to Jungfraujoch (Europe’s highest railway station) is the main draw of this region. The train ticket is pricey, but it will be an unforgettable experience.
- Explore the snow tunnel, museum, and impressive ice sculptures at the top of Jungfraujoch.
- Sphinx Hall is an environmental control vantage point with a panoramic view of the glacier as well as the Bernese Alps.
- The Jungfrau region is a hiker’s dream. Check out some of Switzerland’s most beautiful hikes.
Best Places To Visit In Switzerland: ZERMATT
Zermatt has to be one of the Best Places To Visit In Switzerland, both in the summer and winter. Zermatt is well-known for its iconic Matterhorn, being one of the most photogenic mountains in the world. On a clear day, the Matterhorn’s pyramid-shaped peak, which stands at 4,478 meters, can be seen. Although summer is the ideal time to visit Switzerland, Zermatt is equally beautiful in the winter.
Zermatt is a tiny Swiss town in which you can walk around in. To maintain the air quality that makes Zermatt so charming, only battery-powered vehicles are permitted. A scenic train route connects the city. Winter also is popular in Zermatt, which has a variety of winter outdoor activities, including a 300-kilometer-long ski slope.
Things to do in Zermatt
- Take a funicular as well as a cable car ride to see other famous Zermatt mountains such as the Gornergrat, Klein Matterhorn, and Sunnegga.
- From the Winkelmatten to the Furi, there is a beautiful mountain trail for cycling. Summer adventurers should not miss out on this thrilling experience. Hiking, as well as climbing in the nearby mountains, are also common during the summer.
- In the winter, go skiing. There is a large slope for skiing, and the terrain suits skiers of all skill levels. Natural ice skating rinks, several curling rinks, and snowshoe trails are among the other winter sports activities.
Best Places To Visit In Switzerland: LUCERNE
This picturesque city, located just north of the Alps by superb Lake Lucerne, is another beautiful place to visit in Switzerland. It is known for its historical sights, preserved medieval architecture, and stunning views.
While there are numerous outdoor activities in the surrounding areas, staying in Lucerne for at least two days is required to cover the significant tourist attractions. This is Switzerland’s most beautiful city, with a medieval old town filled with bubbling fountains, painted facades, historic buildings, a traditional town square, covered bridges, waterfront promenades, and so on.
Things to do Lucerne
- Chapel Bridge in the old town is one of Lucerne’s most recognizable tourist attractions. It is Switzerland’s oldest covered wooden bridge, with 17th-century paintings lined up beneath its roof.
- Consult the Lion Monument, a magnificent monument sculpted into a rock cliff in memory of Swiss soldiers who died during the French Revolution.
- Another famous Lucerne tourist attraction is St. Leodegar Church. Admire the iconic twin towers’ stunning architecture.
Best Places To Visit In Switzerland: ZURICH
Your Switzerland bucket list isn’t complete unless you include Zurich, the country’s largest city. Zurich is Switzerland’s financial and cultural center. It is the most popular tourist destination in Switzerland, from which the majority of visitors begin their trip to the country.
The city, located on the shores of Lake Zurich, is home to a number of award-winning museums, historic churches, and world-class architecture. The Limmat River flows through the central city before entering Lake Zurich. The majestic Grossmünster and Fraumünster steeples dominate the skyline, as well as the narrow cobblestone streets that run through the old town make it a perfect spot for a leisurely stroll.
Things to do in Zurich
- On foot, explore Zurich’s Old Town (Altstadt) and medieval cobblestone streets. There are numerous museums, cozy restaurants, small alleyways, and cafés in Old Town.
- Visit Bahnhofstrasse, the world’s most expensive shopping street. The majority of the premium designer brand stores as well as boutiques are located on this posh street.
- Zurich’s Grossmunster Church, as well as Fraumunster Church, are both iconic landmarks. From the top of the Twin Tower, take in the breathtaking views of Zurich’s Old Town.
This is my list of the best places to visit in Switzerland, in no particular order.
I hope you enjoyed this article. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section. Please remember to share this post.